Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Thoughts on Being Found...

I have thought about writing this blog post for many years. The desire always comes initially from frustration, which is why I think I have hesitated to post. But ultimately I think it might lead to a helpful discussion and so here goes...


As you might know, part of my mission as an artist and blogger is to showcase the work of other artists. I do this currently, and have done this throughout the years, through my online collaborative projects, in my 2 published books, via countless blog series (The Week Links and The Sunday Papers as examples), and via social media love and links.


This is where the frustration comes in. There have been countless times (well, okay... 315,217 instances) when I have come across the blog of an artist that I want to feature or connect with, fall in love with their work, and wham...no contact info. Sometimes no name but most often no email address.

It is my habit to ask in advance for permission to share somebody's images or links. Common courtesy, although few people ever say no. But if I cannot contact you, I cannot ask. And if I cannot ask, I cannot feature you. I of course know that one can message people via some of the social media platforms. But sometimes it just takes too long to click around to find the one to use. 


Some of you may not want to be found. No worries there. But if you are online as a way to grow as a recognized artist, then this post is for you. Add your name and email address, loud and clear, to all your online platforms. You never know...I may just be coming to find you.

11 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Someone told me years ago when I started blogging that you should never add your email address to your blog because you'll get clogged up with spam. That's never happened to me. Yes we all get those unwanted emails but my spam box is great for keeping them out of the way. Perhaps some people still believe they should keep their email address private.
You do an amazing job sharing other artist's work, thanks for taking the time to do so xxx

froebelsternchen said...

I nearly always find a way to contact the bloggers that I want to contact - as a last resort I write them a comment leaving them
my contact adress !
When then no answer comes it will be a reason for.
But I totally understand you - since
you do such a wonderful job sharing the work and introducing us to so many
artist in blogland! Thank you for this !So it would be much easier for you if the artists make sure to get in contact with them in a simple manner.
I for instance are one of this bad people - I just have added my email addy
to be found under the section ABOUT at my blog ....
I am also not with my whole name on facebook.
It's maybe obscure for an American, but in a little country
it's better and often necessary to protect the privacy.
oxo
Susi

FROEBELSTERNCHEN

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Interesting post. Here's a question: Where is the best place you have found to post your contact info? I have a widget on the sidebar of my Blog. I've been asked for my email address even with it there. So, do people look in a particular place that I don't know about? :-) Again, interesting post. Have a lovely day!

Sharon Y said...

Ah, to be found or not to be found, that is the question. I personally put myself out there to be a part of a larger art community. I'm there to share and so I have a way people can reach me. Hmmmm, which now makes me want to re-check all my social places to make sure I actually do have my contact info there.

Thanks Seth for your continued support of the crafting and artistic community. You inspire me with your works and that of others.

Louise said...

An interesting post Seth and I understand your frustration, for I too have often found amazing artists with only pictures of their work and no links to anything despite energy put in to searching for them. On the other hand, however, I find it hard as an artist to be 'found' in the plethora of webs in the web itself. I still often get customers who say they came across me 'by chance' or items in my store that get hardly any views. And to get these views we have to pay huge corporations sums of money and even that does not guarantee views. I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I love your blog and have been following for years, your work is fantastic and your passion for the arts community. There is so much competition in the world and it's wonderful to find someone in a place of oneness.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I think everyone can find me...lol....but I get your point...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have a problem with my e-mail being all over the internet, since the first e-mail address, which is linked to both my blog and my pay-pal account was hacked. Then, a second e-mail account, which I promised my friend (who set the account up on his account) I would only give out to trusted friends, was overloaded with e-mails for awhile. I was distraught. I simply can't afford to let my e-mail be shown. If people want to leave me a message, they can do so on my blog. I find even though it is less personal, it is far better for my sanity and my computer, since I don't have virus removal software. I've seen others saying the same thing, and they want me to add it to my profile, too. I think they can find me (and Bleubeard) if they look hard enough.

Jo Murray said...

oops....must check the contact info on my blog.

Kay Wallace said...

In total agreement here!

Gwen Lafleur said...

Thanks for posting this Seth. It reminded me to go and check my own sites - I had an "email me" link on my blog that I thought was still there, but it was gone! I've added it back so I can be found too :)

Petra Weis said...

Good point. I have come across the same issue when I wanted to contact another blogger; very frustrating. I use a simple contact form without having the email displayed.