Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Benefits of Art Journaling


My column in the current March/April issue of Cloth Paper Scissors addresses the benefits of art journaling, of which there are many.


This issue, btw, is the first in a new redesign throughout the magazine.

A brief excerpt:

A journal is a place where we create only for ourselves. There's no pressure to show our work to others and, without the weight of outside criticism, journaling can free us to release our creativity and enhance our artistic skills. This for-your-eyes-only journaling, coupled with the focus on right-brain activity during the act of art journaling, allows you to be less critical and rely more on intuition. You take more risks, and that helps build self-confidence and personal satisfaction.

10 comments:

Paul B said...

Beautiful pages Seth and so true about art journals being a place to explore and experiment. Will have to go read the rest of your article now :D P xx

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Can't wait to read your article. And yes...art journaling is a fantastic outlet for exploring so many things.

Sharon Y said...

Looks like a great read. Art journaling can be such a private thing which is why it is so wonderful and inspiring that artists like you share your pages.

PocketSize said...

Fantastic, I'll have to get this issue for sure! I struggle to keep at it with journaling of any sort, but maybe I'll have another go at art journaling.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

AWESOME NEWS...You are a great role model, Seth...THANKS!

Carol said...

I can't say enough about the benefits of art journaling and am anxious to read your article.!

Jo Murray said...

It's interesting how many people keep art journals. I've never been in the habit, usually spending my spare time painting on canvas. I should really begin.

Plush Possum Studio said...

Wow! Thanks to Robin Veysey, I now know you exist! So glad I do

Kay Wallace said...

Your column is the first thing I read and enjoy in my CPS magazine, Seth! This most recent article spoke volumes to me!!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Food for thought. I have never thought of Art Journaling like you describe. What a freeing concept and one I am going to take to heart. CPS seems like the magazine to read and also to learn from. Thanks for sharing this and opening a new art door for my brain!