Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Artists and Makers

These days, a big announcement about a print magazine usually means that the publication is shutting down. Happily, Interweave -- the crew who publish Cloth Paper Scissors - has just released the first issue of a new print magazine called Artist & Makers. And it is good. You are gonna wanna have this one.


The features in this magazine bring the perfect blend of art and business. It almost seems more like a workshop for creative entrepreneurs who are trying to take their creative passions to the next level.


 It is filled with artist profiles, practical tips and supportive approaches. 


Thankfully it does not sugar-coat the creative world but rather shines a light on both the struggles and successes that we all as creatives experience.


 The magazine has a fresh feel, in part because by far the majority of people featured in and contributing to the magazine are outside the usual suspects that are typically seen in our community's magazines.


I contacted Jeannine Stein, the editor of both Artist & Makers and Cloth Paper Scissors, and asked her to share her thoughts about this publication with my readers (and by 'my readers'  I mean you).

In her words..."I've heard from so many artists that they've been looking for a magazine like this -- a publication with up-to-the-minute information on navigating all aspects of the business world, plus great features and profiles. It was really important that the magazine have a peer-to-peer feeling, and I think we've achieved that. Our columnists and many of our contributors are people who are artists and makers themselves, or who work with artists on a daily basis. They live what they write about. Artists & Makers is a fun, lively, entertaining read and I would love to hear everyone's feedback on it."

Click over to Artists & Makers Winter 2015 for more info and to order your own copy.

11 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

So excited about this .. Thanks for sharing the news with us.. Looking forward to it..

Hastypearl said...

Ordered! Laura

Lisa Chin said...

I'm looking forward to reading this! Thanks for the review.

The Creative Beast said...

I get the CPS emails daily and saw this publication pop up in a recent email and thanks to you Seth, I plan on picking up a copy before they are all gone! Thanks for the words from Jeannine Stein on this exciting new publication!

Jo Murray said...

Looks like a good'un. Hope they survive.

Jeanne said...

thank you for sharing, Seth! This is definitely a publication I could use while trying to start my own art biz.

Jackie PN said...

Very interesting- and so glad to see something away from the usual suspects! Thanks for sharing this Seth- off to order my own!!

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm so glad you posted this review, Seth... that sounds like content I will love. I'm off to click the link. Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Just received my copy in the mail! A little Christmas present to myself. Can't wait to dive in; thanks for sharing.

Kay Wallace said...

I loved reading your review, Seth! I think a magazine with this content is long overdue, and I like the "tell it like it is" approach taken by the publishers!

Kathleen cope said...

I bought a copy last night. Stayed up until 4 this morning reading it from cover to cover! I will subscribe to it. I've needed this magazine for about 3 years. Thank you is so little to say but comes from a gratefully huge heart!
Kathleen Cope
Www.KathleenCope.com