Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Top 5 Workshop Tips: Planning

My top 5 tips for workshop instructors involving planning...


1)Preparation: A prepared instructor will be a better instructor. A lack of time and effort put into the behind-the-scenes planning of a workshop will be evident to all on the day of the workshop.

2)Workshop Content: There are a lot of workshops being offered these days. Successful workshops will be the ones that are unique, well developed, and truly reflective of the instructor's style as an artist.

3)Venue Selection: Choosing the right workshop for the right venue is an art in and of itself. And instructor will attract more students if she/he tries to match the type of venue being considered to the theme of the workshop.

4)Timing: They say it is all in the timing and that is true for a successful workshop as well. Avoid scheduling on major holidays, at the same time as another artist is teaching in the same area, and in the period just before, during, or just after a major art retreat. Weekends are almost always better than weekdays.

5)Professionalism: Word travels fast in our small community. Always communicate with your contacts at the venue in a professional, personable and timely manner. Actually, make this a matter of course with everybody!


This is an except from my article and interview published in the current digital Mixed Media Art Magazine Issue 10.

8 comments:

Sharon W. said...

All very true: but, then, you could be the poster boy for top-notch workshops! .....("aw, shucks, jest doin' my job, ma'am")

Unknown said...

great advice. Thank you for sharing it and for all you do to nurture camaraderie in our community!

Jo Murray said...

Excellent advise. I'll keep it in mind when I see you in August.

The Creative Beast said...

These are great tips Seth! Thanks for sharing them and the link to the article - I'm going to read that next!

Crystal Marie said...

Very generous and right on advice for planning workshops. Last year I accidentally scheduled one in my home studio on Mother's Day. It wound up being a wonderfully intimate class of just 5 students - two of them my own daughters who just wanted to spend the day with me. I'm so glad I did not have the expense of traveling so that I could enjoy the day in spite of the low attendance!
Thanks for the insight and reminder to put the time into planning Seth!

Katia said...

wow is fantastic

Eyeleeeen said...

I couldn't agree more. As a retired teacher I am probably more critical than most when it comes to workshops. What I've come to understand is that being a great artist does not necessarily mean being a great art teacher. So when I encounter a person who not only has talent for creating, but for teaching, I feel like I've won the lottery. You are one of those artists, and I've loved every class I've ever taken with you. I used to tell my kids to go by the "three P's" in terms of classroom behavior. Come to think of it, they apply to workshop teachers, and probably to people in general: be prompt, be prepared, be polite. Great article!

Renee said...

Great tips from a great example! You are professional from start to finish and make everyone in the class feel special. How do you remember everyone's name?