Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tell All - Chapter 12



Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, Master Class, It's Still Life, and Playing Favorites were the first five projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The final project from The Pulse #5, Tell All, continues now with the last post in the series...


Participants were asked: what is the one thing that you know now that you would have liked to have known when you first started to create art? 
------------------------------------------

I wish I'd had a mentor who encouraged me and my creative impulse, all while being VERY raw honest about the struggle. Mostly how normal it is, and how we humans face "struggle" in every walk of life. Maybe I wouldn't have had so many anxious, neurotic moments. Jacqueline Auvigne

You just have to do it to get a good result sooner or later. Marion Bockelmann

How to better connect with my readers and the technicalities of the cyber world. It's a pretty steep learning curve for those of us who weren't raised immersed in the world of computers. But it's been a fun ride! Deryn Mentock

How much I need a patron. Sarah Fishburn

There are no rules. I have no formal art training or education, so for many years I was intimidated because I didn't know the "right way". annie!

That being an artist does not mean that you can draw realistically. Dawn DeVries Sokol

I would like to have known a patient Gallery owner. Seriously, it would have spurred my art career on at a much younger age to feel comfortable knowing I would not become a "starving artist". Cathy Minerva

That I don't have to have a goal when I start a piece, even though it comes in handy when I get "canvas block". ange

Yes you can! How to shut out that self-doubting voice. Wish someone had taught me that as a child. Why does that lesson take so long to learn? Kim Palmer

I would like to have known then (when I started to create art) what I know now and would like to know now what I will know in 5 years from now. Antonia Griva

------------------------------------------
This is the last Tell All post in the series and the last post from the entire 5th online edition of The Pulse. Thanks to all the participants for sharing their work and words and thanks to all of you who have spent your Sundays with me and with The Pulse.

Stay tuned for an all new 6th edition to begin soon.

10 comments:

Marit said...

Thank you so much Seth, ánd all the artists, for your work on this blogseries. I enjoyed every Sundaypost and learned a lot from the answers all the artists gave.

amy of studio four corners said...

it has been a fabulous journey - and such a plus to my sunday morning routine - thanks Seth and to all the artists who participated and gave great insight to their art, ambitions and the creative process...look forward to the next series...

Jo Murray said...

Finished this one with a flourish, Seth.

trish quilty said...

thanks Seth for your postings of the artists responses to your questions. I have enjoyed all of them and have learned something from each answer.





ps there are alot of false/nasty comments by anonoymous listed. do you have any filters?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Seth! Every time I read the contributing artists answers, I feel more and more part of this creative community where we all share very similar struggles and joys.

bohemiannie! art said...

You are the BEST!

WW said...

Just discovered your blog an have been happily poking around. Really enjoying what I'm seeing.

Debrina said...

It's been yet another HUGE period of time since I've been over here to catch up. The problem is, I'm just having too much darn fun over here in Bangkok to be blogging. To be honest though Seth,I'm really missing it now - especially this wonderful and wondrous community you sustain over here. So I'm just gonna put aside some time for me from here on in and just do the blog thing (and not talk about doing it anymore, LOL). You are such a hero to me: here you are going from strength to enormous strength, continuing to do what you love. Go you and well done.

Parabolic Muse said...

What an amazing accomplishment, Seth!
And each installment has gems.
Thank you for this, and Looking forward to your book!

Kathryn Dyche said...

I would like to have known so many of those things, especially that its ok not to have formal training to create art. Been working on my portrait series and even though some find it dark it feels good to create from a personal place.