Sunday, October 7, 2012

Playing Favorites: Chapter 8


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, Master Class, and It's Still Life were the first four projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The fifth project, Playing Favorites, continues now...


Participants were asked to: share a picture of a favorite piece of art that you have created and explain its meaning to you...
------------------------------------------
Kathryn Dyche Dechairo
"Ablaze. The texture represents the many layers to life while the red tree represents love, emotions and strength."


"The Mandrake was my first breakthrough piece circa about 2005. He was the first manifestation of my art experiments that joined my figurative drawing and my love of dimensional embroidery."

"One of my favorite pieces of art is my rendition of Gustav Klimt's The Kiss. I've always loved the original and thought about making it in fabric for years. I used scraps (exclusively) that most would throw away."

Rachel Whetzel

"I made this piece from bits and pieces during my time spent beach combing on the Oregon coast. It reminds me of the time we used to spend on the coast camping when I was a kid, and the hours we would spend looking for treasures there. All of the pieces remind me of all the weeks spent by the campfire, or in our trailer, reading books and drinking hot coco with marshmallows."

"She Walks With Me. This is a picture I made of myself at age 86...which I'm not. It's structure is made of cardboard brown paper bags and denim jeans with yarn and natural found objects. I have always pictured myself as a woods woman from a very young age...that was my safe haven to go, it's where I felt I belonged. 

"My favorite piece of art is what I call my Voodoo necklace. It's a never ending piece...a few times a year it gets an update. This necklace is about connections. Connections with the past - some elements are pretty old - and connections with people - some elements were given to me be friends from all over the world and some are part of the history of my family."

"This is one in a series of 60+ spirals of the soul that contain remnants of fabrics, text. papers, small bits and pieces of prints, and oddments of my life. These little bundles were put together to represent my memories all bundled up and safe within me. Some are bound whilst others were open to see a little of the narrative."

"This is one of my favorite pieces because I like the layered and dimensional look I got and I also like the texture the thick watercolor paper imposed on the surface. I also like the fact that I haven't nailed this piece down yet (or framed it), as I continue to add marks to it every time I pull it out of the almost drawer."


"we only have this moment. An unexpected snow, a lovely midnight walk with my dog, through our silent neighborhood. Capturing moments to create and share my vision is what I live for."

"A double woven tube with Deconstructed Screen Printing is the result of taking a risk. Hand weaving cloth is a time consuming process and using DSP on it is a split second leap of faith. Another Opening reinforced my desire to combine these techniques for unexpected results."

"Home Town is a piece I created for my mom, who also happens to be one of my best friends. It's made with elements that hold great meaning for her...and myself. It's a heirloom piece..filled with memories."


"Mauve Morning Cuff. I love to create art jewelry with off the wall and found object materials. Taking odd materials, fabric, paint, and heat, then turning it into something totally different is my passion."

Gail Pierce
"This is the first fabric art piece that wasn't a struggle for me; everything fell into place. Purple and yellow aren't colors I normally choose, but the fabric was on my worktable directly under the black/grey piece of fabric, serenipitious perhaps? The focal point fabric was also on my worktable. The three fabrics used in this piece were either hand-dyed or printed in my studio."

------------------------------------------

Next "Playing Favorites" will be posted on Sunday, October 14th.

12 comments:

Rebeca Trevino said...

SETH!
again these are terrific!
i am continually inspired by you and the people you introduce me to.
i love them all,but Stephanie Brouwers' piece and Laura Lein-Svencner's pieces really make me smile.
fun! terrific!

Sandy said...

I am most grateful for the introduction to all the amazing artist you feature here, so much inspiration, so much variety, so much talent!

Gwen Buchanan said...

really enjoyed these, Seth.

Sand Hill Art said...

Oh, the beauty of it all. Takes my breath away.

deb said...

oooooo! Lots of eye candy today - looking forward to digging in to some new blogs and adding to my reader!

Kathryn Dyche said...

I'd completely forgotten about this one . . . the piece I featured as a favorite sold to someone who'd lost a family member and it was one of those times when it felt like a piece of my art was going to the perfect home. So many wonderful artists featured, I especially love Sharon Read's bundle.

Leslie said...

Another great installment!

Bill said...

All of these piece have the "WOW" factor. They are more encouragement for me to keep branching out from digital art.

trish quilty said...

Seth:
I have enjoyed these pieces of inspiration from such talented artist.
Thank you for introducing us to them, so we can enjoy their art.
Pat q

The Creative Beast said...

another great grouping of amazing artwork! loved the "HomeTown" piece in particular...

Jo Murray said...

Oops, I almost missed this one...silly me. Glad I caught up.

Jill Zaheer said...

Another wonderful sunday filled with lots of great artistic works to reflect on -and marvel at the connection each has to its artist!