Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fundamentally Female

In May I was approached to share some of my artwork in a book that was in the process of being written. Reading through the invitation, I saw that the book was to be titled Fundamentally Female and was described as being "by, for, and about women." I replied back that I was very appreciative about the opportunity but that I was "fundamentally male". Luckily, they understood my humor and replied that they knew that I was male but that didn't mean that I could not still celebrate women and contribute to the book. I was very pleased about that and am now even more pleased that Fundamentally Female has just been released.


Here is the description of the book from the website (with my own addition within the parentheses):

"Fundamentally Female is a global collaboration - by, for, and about women (and art by at least one man) - that identifies the universal substance of a woman: the friendship she honors, the vulnerability she exposes, the impact she makes, the intimacy she covets, the secrets she keeps. Rich in wit, wisdom, and honesty, this collection of candid and diverse voices speaks to generations of females in search of confirmation, inspiration, and joy as it peels away the layers to expose the very soul of womanhood. Master storyteller Reneé Rongen amasses a feast of quips and quotes, provocative vignettes, and tender stories that spans the gamut of the female experience, then wraps it in delicious, eclectic artwork created by artists around the world". 

I am happy to say that I have four pieces of art published in the book and am thrilled to see that one piece, Daze, is on the cover in the upper right hand corner.


It is the type of book that you will find yourself picking up over and over for quick shots of inspiration. The brief stories, poems, and quotes are sometimes funny, sometimes moving, and always compelling. And all of the text is paired with both a word (such as fragmented, indulgent, prepared, and proud - to name a few) and either an artwork or a photograph. This book truly is a celebration and I am very proud to be a part of the party.

You can see all the artwork and meet the artists here. The book is available for purchase online here.

12 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

Congratulations on your work in this publication, I can just picture your confusion when you were asked to contribute.

Maureen said...

Laughing aside, I think it's wonderful you contributed artwork to this book. Hope it reaches a wide audience.

Brian Kasstle said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful book you have contributed to!

ersimarina said...

I do like the conceptual angle of your work and how it places women in the flow of time. Congratulations on this collaboration!

Lynn Cohen said...

I think you will be agreeable to the fact that you have a feminine side along with your very male side. It's the part that helps you be so understanding of things human, artistic, feeling, and caring. I am so glad the authors invited you to contribute. I look forward to seeing your masculine contributions! Looks like a very fun book!

layers said...

Another very big congratulations Seth.. a book that celebrates women.. I will definitely take a look. I hope you are well and happily writing and creating.

Bill said...

I, for one, am getting tired of all these women celebrating. When are we men going to show what we've got?! (No offense to the female gender intended.)

Jill Zaheer said...

What a creative idea to have you contribute your artwork to this book. Super congrats! Does this mean that you have broken the glassceiling? Hard to imagine what your next boundary to conquer will be!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Funny Bill...I like what you said. Looks like Seth needs to do a male celebration of art book and I could be the one female with art in the book. ha ha And congrats Seth...your art and your name definately sells books. (Love that piece on hte cover.)

Jo Murray said...

How does it feel to be the token male in a fundamentally female environment?

Janine Whitling said...

thanks for sharing this with us, and it seems only fitting that you are involved given how many female artists you support in your daily life. Well done and congratulations.

.Trudi Sissons said...

I have always loved the textural combined with the juxtaposition of words in you work Seth. This is a fine example!