Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Art is You: redux

I recently returned from Art is You, the art retreat held annually in Stamford, Connecticut. It is hard to put into words the experience and feelings that go along with attending an art retreat. Those of you who have been to a retreat know what I am talking about. And those who haven't...well it is time to get your butts to one of the many retreats that take place across the country every year.

Perhaps the best way to share my experience at Art is You is through images..

There is the opportunity to take classes with amazing teachers. These are just a few of the instructors whose classes I crashed my first day there...

Tracy Verdugo from Australia. Gotta love an artist who works on the floor!

Jodi Ohl, whose vibrant work always brings a smile to my face.

Michael deMeng showing off a doll's head. That's Eileen Bellomo next to him. Hey Eileen.

There is the opportunity to visit with old friends and meet so many new ones. There is nothing like meeting in person somebody that you have "known" very well for years online...

Leighanna Light and Sallianne, who along with Ellen, runs this retreat and runs it perfectly!

The Js...Joanne Sharpe and Joanna Pierotti. And of course the horse, who made quite a splash at the Art Trunk.

The one-of-a-kind Kecia Deveney, who I happily was placed next to at the Art Trunk.

There were many opportunities to give back...

This is just part of the huge raffle table filled with artwork and supplies that were raffled off for charity.

Nope...these aren't art bloggers. They are just a few of the amazing figures made by some of the instructors that were part of the raffle prizes.

There were surprises...

This is my amazing name tag/neck pouch. Ellen made over 300 of these and each was unique!!

There was of course food and drink, which was served in style...

We all needed fuel to keep us going with the art frenzy.

I taught my workshop 52 Card Pickup with the best class of students ever...and yes, I say that every time!

Worker bees...

We painted...




And collaged...




9 of 52 cards from Esta Berman-Price

We made a mess on our tables...

The sign of a happy artist!

The sign of an even happier artist!!

And we put it all together to make special journals, using a deck of cards to make 52 spots to journal each week for a year.

From &rew Borloz, who gets the 'working fast' prize!

And the townspeople rejoiced...


I am already looking forward to next year!

-------------------------------

I had so much fun teaching 52 Card Pickup that I am going to do it again. You can join me on December 2 at Little Bird Creations Studio in NYC for a full day workshop. Bring your deck of cards and be ready for a fury of painting and collaging. As of the time I am writing this post, there are 3 open seats left. Info and registration: here.



41 comments:

Anonymous said...

My! You do know how to have fun!! Looks like it was a wonderful experience!! Someday....

Pam Carriker said...

So great to get to see you again Seth!! xoxo

Edie Malin said...

Thanks Seth, I've been reading blogs since Sunday and each time I go back for a few moments and relive it a little. I had an amazing experience and plan on Nashville and Stamford in 2013. May even submit to teach if I muster up the stength. ;)

Unknown said...

Fabulous post about the BEST retreat I cannot wait for next year, Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories

Lynn Cohen said...

Mim told me she met you there (from Boston area) and mentioned me. Talk about a very small world.
Looks like great fun. Can May be too far behind in Portland?

NANCY LEFKO said...

It WAS wonderful...thanks for posting great pix. ALWAYS great to share time with you, my friend!

Eyeleeeen said...

Hi Seth! Waving back at you, LOL. Standing next to Michael DeMeng is not a bad place to be. See ya soon!

Jenny said...

Wow, this looks like such a dreamy experience. I have never been to an art retreat, but I plan on going to CREATE next fall in Chicago. I am already so excited I can't stand it!
Your workshop sounds so creative and fun and inspiring. Love the way they look. Just wish I could touch them!

lynne h said...

seth, it looks like you had a truly great time - and your class looks awesome! xoxo

Bunny said...

This looks like a fantastic experience. What about us poor souls on the west side of the country? Any chances of a visit, Seth? I am still lurking and working up the courage to actually show people my creations but...I would like some actual skills before I throw myself out there. VBG

Gwen Buchanan said...

So much creativity all in one place.. the place must have been tingling.

Lisa said...

looks like a great time Seth...lots of smiling faces and wonderful creations!

Sharon W. said...

Another fabulous workshop, Seth! After a day or two of napping I have returned to the "deck", attacking the covers. I'll forward some pictures soon. Your pics are just terrific, although I am sure you crept in and "arranged" the stuff in my particular photo!! (My work area NEVER looks that good). I am so pleased that you have had a chance to experience Ellen's and Sallianne's very special retreat, and I look forward to future "fast and furious" workshops with you!!!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Your workshops look like so much fun! I must add it to my calendar for 2013!

Diana Trout said...

Oh it looks like you had a great class and loads of fun! I really missed everyone this year.

chrisfondi said...

it was a blast seth. thanks again

Judy Shea said...

Seth.. it was GREAT to meet you finally. Your class looks like fun. One of your students took it and love it. Only if I had more time.

Unknown said...

So nice to see you on my blog! It was so great to meet you and I am going to try to make it to your NY 52 pick up class!

Leslie said...

One of these days I'll get up there for that. It looks like you had a great time and happy classroom. Good for you!

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely cards and many happy faces!

QuinnCreative said...

All that free-floating creativity and you scooped it up and shared! Thanks so much!

teri said...

Good to see you there, Seth! Eileen is always photo bombing, isn't she? LOL

Sandy said...

This looks like it was an amazing event! A friend and I were talking the other day saying how we live in the dead zone for events, they are waaaaay east or west of us. Maybe it is time to plan some travel to the land of inspiration. Loved seeing all the artwork being made, thanks for sharing.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Great post, Seth!!

Julie Prichard said...

Looks like you are settling into your teaching groove very well, Seth. Well done!

Julie Prichard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marjie Kemper said...

What a great wrap-up post! Loved your class, Seth! And I'm sure we really were the best evah.

Jacky said...

This looks so much fun!!!! I would love to do one of these retreats. So many wonderful creative people together...sharing, enjoying. What an experience.
Your workshop looks wonderful Seth!

Jacky xox

Anonymous said...

Seth, thank you for a wonderful class. it was great fun and it was nice to finally meet you. and we were really the best class ever. elizabeth

Jill Zaheer said...

What a super post about an incredible art retreat- both for yourself and all who attended! So many lucky artists to have been able to participate in your class!

Jo Murray said...

My head's spinning!!!...an abundance of creativity.

Parabolic Muse said...

Seth, I'm so glad you are teaching and that people are getting the opportunity to get some lessons in awesome. I loved Artfest and must say that a retreat is a huge difference from one or two day workshops. It is well worth the experience, not only in knowledge and skill gained, but in community.

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

Looks like lots of fun and productive!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Seth, yeah retreats take us places...happy places. Love the concept of your workshop.
XO

pamelahuntington said...

Wonderful to see you at AiY Seth..
Love all the pictures in your post and it looks like your class was wonderful..!

A Magical Whimsy said...

This looked like an amazing event. Gosh! Wish I lived on the East Coast.
Oh, and I am thrilled to be able to find a gal on Etsy who sells Stampington Magazines...as I have an order in for the latest Somerset Studio Nov/Dec 2012 with your 5X5 projects highlighted! Wish I could have made the deadline for that challenge you instigated.
I adore JoAnnA Pierotti of Moss Hill Studios as I had taken her Bella Art Doll class a few years ago. She is always so full of beautiful creative ideas!
Thank you for sharing all of these fabulous photos!
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

~*~Patty S said...

next best thing to actually being there is seeing and hearing about it from you Seth!

looks fabulous in every way!
oxo

Kim Mailhot said...

It was great to meet you there too, Seth ! I am glad you had such a great experience and that you will be returning next year.
There sure was a lot of inspiration in that hotel !
Happy Landings !

.Trudi Sissons said...

Great write up Seth! I am inspired again!

michelle ward said...

Bravo!!!