Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'll Have Mine With Milk...



Con Leche, an exhibition of work from four members of the very talented Larsen/Crawford family, is currently running through June 4th at Le Marche St George in Vancouver, BC. I was also included in this show as a guest artist. Con Leche is Spanish for With Milk, a nod both to the white color palette of the exhibition as well as to Mexico, the home of artist Patricia Larsen. This show was originally suppose to open on the night of my book signing, but a scheduling conflict for the exhibition space meant that the show opened one week later, on May 10th. Although I do not have pictures from the exhibition, a beautiful post from Le Marche St George captures the opening perfectly.

The work I contributed to the exhibition was quite a departure from my usual approach and style. I created two "installations" consisting of multiple panels of artwork: The Milky Way and Udder Nonesense (sic). Each was driven more by the theme of the show rather than the execution of the actual work. In that sense, this is as close to a conceptual installation as I am likely to get.

The Milky Way





Udder Nonesense






and placed far away from all the other pieces:


Text also appeared on the edges of each panel:

Sending thanks to the crew in Vancouver for this special opportunity - the first of many I hope!

25 comments:

Brian Kasstle said...

Oh I love "why buy the cow"!

elle said...

You have a very subtle (white?) sense of humour. :) I like these!

Marit said...

Different work of you indeed, and Oh how I love it!!! You had me puzzling over 'why buy the cow'... is it just humorous or is there something American, like a saying of phrase, that you are refering to? Am I missing the point here? However, your installations are fantastic and make me smile.

Sandy said...

Seth,

These are utterly delightful! I love the sense of whimsy and tongue in cheek humor. Thanks for the smile this morning. Have a great day.

Joyce said...

Love the sayings and your interpretations of the show theme...great work!

Maureen said...

This must have been a lot of fun.

Have a great weekend!

Caterina Giglio said...

you put a big : D on my face...

Lynn Cohen said...

I love udder nonsense! So funny!
and the taped whites above also fun! You've definitely got milk!

Chris said...

Seth, You have a great sense of humor, they're fantastic!

Holly Dean Artist said...

These pieces are awesome, Seth. A great sense of whimsy and gorgeous, to boot :)

Cheryl said...

Hi Seth, I had every intention of visiting this exhibit while in Vancouver visiting the Sketchbook Project but I had a mishap that changed my day. Will try to get up there in the next few days.

Carole Reid said...

When you smile the whole world smiles with you!
Bravo!

Jo Murray said...

Very different indeed Seth, but also very 'tongue in cheek'. You have an interesting mind.

trish quilty said...

Seth, how I enjoyed these works of art. A radical departure from your usual work but very droll, subtle, and to be read with a chuckle.
Thanks for making my day.
patq

trish quilty said...

Seth, how I enjoyed these works of art. A radical departure from your usual work but very droll, subtle, and to be read with a chuckle.
Thanks for making my day.
patq

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth!!! I love this show, and your pieces in it are fun and beautiful in their hues of chocolate. I love your silliness!
roxanne

Carol said...

Charming, and funny, Seth. A delightful combination.

Lisa H said...

How fun are these pieces??!!!
That color range must have been a huge challenge, but you clearly rose to the occasion.
You're so good at "taking us with you"
Thanks a latté.

Deb said...

Seth,
These are sheer genius. Love each & every one. Congrats on the exhibition. Looks MOO-AH-VALOUS!

Parabolic Muse said...

Wow. These are great.

cream of wheat?!!

~Babs said...

How cool is this work, you clever boy!
So mooo-ving, in a very fun way.

Also enjoyed the link to the opening, thanks!

Fran Meneley said...

Wonderful work, Seth and what a great place to have your work shown! I would be a Le Marche everyday!! A wonderful post...thanks for letting us peek inside your Vancouver world. Beautiful! xoxox

Leslie Avon Miller said...

This work of yours is dear to my heart. Clean and simple, with complex surface, and filled with the spirit of the moment and place. These represent a very fond memory.
The inspiration continues....

azirca said...

I Love these works Seth. A departure from your usual works, but I still see touches of your unique style cascading through these pieces.

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wow- conceptual work- I like it! All of these made me smile, but I especially like "the cheese stands alone." When I was a kid, I always thought that it just made no sense at all. I wonder how old you need to be to get that allusion? I hope you explained "why buy the cow" to Marit! Congrats to you, Seth!