Sunday, August 14, 2011

Style File: Chapter 9


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.



Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
----------------------------------------------
Adrienne 'Dree' Berry



Inspirational and thought-provoking. For years I have tried to paint faces and it is such a struggle for me. I tried my hand at painting with no faces and love the results. This causes the viewer to put herself (or himself) in the painting and interpret what it means to them.
----------------------------------------------
Jude




This is a tough question, one I have struggled with over the years. I sometimes describe my style as visionary expressionism. Expressionism because my work comes from my inner experience, and visionary because I am drawn to the transcendent. But if you google 'visionary expressionism', you won't find much and what you do find won't look like something I'd do. Hopefully this image (A Soul Takes Flight) says it better than the proverbial 1,000 words.
----------------------------------------------
Marsha Jorgensen




'Somewhat awkward digital collage' sums up my opinion of my work at the moment and that's okay. Freak Pride symbolizes my feelings of awkwardness both as an artist an as a person.
----------------------------------------------
Pat McNally




I don't think I have a particular 'style' and if I do I have no idea what to call it!! I can't describe it really - except 'Jill of all trades, master of NONE'! I like to try everything, and have not narrowed down to any one medium or style. (watercolor of Miss Lilly)
----------------------------------------------
Natasha White




I would describe my style as painterly intuitive with a love of faces and people. I do use other mediums sometimes but I keep defaulting back to my paint , it is my natural home. This painting titled 'Reflective Resolutions' is a piece about taking the time to reflect on our place in the world, listening to our inner guidance system and following the pathway our intuition shows us.
----------------------------------------------
Stacey Merrill




Eclectic realism, maybe? I like playing with materials and styles, light and patterns - but most of my pieces include a figure somewhere.
----------------------------------------------
Gillian McMurray




My primary style is realism, as seen in my graphite pencil work but I also paint stylized pieces of Medieval style birds for fun. My image is of a Eurasian badger in coloured pencil and is called 'Peek-a-boo'.
----------------------------------------------
Rhomany




My style changes a lot and even looking at things I made this time last year, I see a lot of differences in style and execution. Nut my background is in illustration and I think an illustrative style is the one thing that is common to all my pieces. I like things to be outlined in black with bold colours and not a massive amount of layers. I like the clean look of most illustration work and the use of fine details without being photorealistic.
----------------------------------------------
Kesha Bruce




My work combines drawing, painting, and collage to explore the connections between memory, personal mythology, and magical-spiritual belief. I work in loose, stream of consciousness, circular narratives that never truly reveal themselves., which leaves room for the viewer to fill in the blanks with their own ideas and stories. I think of every work as a collaboration. (That They Might be Lovely)
----------------------------------------------
Cathy Minerva aka Minervas Madness




My style of art leans towards the abstract realm with some realism and surrealism involved plus a lot of texture. I like to 'feel' my work with my eyes. I am fascinated and intrigued with faces and in particular, eyes. (Shade of a Glance)
----------------------------------------------
Liz Hampton-Derivan




This is a new piece which I think is a good example of my often soft, ethereal style, that takes on a dreamlike quality. It is also very feminine. The desert angels are three dancer friends who agreed to model for me. (Desert Angels III)
----------------------------------------------

Next 'Style File' will be posted on Sunday, August 21st.

13 comments:

Artsnark said...

Thanks for another introduction to such a varied group of artist! Your blog always has such great links :) Also, many thanks for sharing my watercolor & random thoughts here today

p said...

another enjoyable post! great way to start my sunday!

ooglebloops said...

Happy to be included among such TALENT!! Thank you!!!

nancy neva gagliano said...

honoring all.....nice, seth!

Gillian McMurray said...

I'm so honoured to be among such talent. I've been enjoying visiting some of the new artists involved in the style file this year :o)

Sherry said...

I enjoy seeing the work of others and how they describe themselves via their style. I already know of Marsha's work (and laughed at her description of herself which is so very Marsha!!!), but it was a real treat to see artists who are new to me and discover new to me talent!

Lisa said...

an exciting explosion of creativity and talent..thanks for brightening up a stormy sunday morning...

Jill Zaheer said...

Another great Sunday Style File posting which includes such varied styles of art with such broad ranges of mediums and subject matter. Off to enlarge the pics and to take a look at the artists whose work I'm not familiar with! Thanks again to all who participated and to you Seth for putting this all together!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for including me in a group of amazing artists, can't wait to take the time to blog surf and check them all out!

Bill said...

I love the playfulness in many of the works posted here. The badger is wonderful! On the other side of the spectrum, the deep spiritual meaning in Kesha's chosen work is stunning. Thank you everyone for sharing your work with us, and of course, to Seth for his constant encouragement through his blog.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

What a thrill to be included in Seth Apter's Style Files and with so many talented, amazing artists! You bring the world together, Seth, and I think we're all more than a little grateful!

sf said...

Kesha Bruce - your piece shown here is beautiful to me.

Julie Shackson said...

Another lovely edition of your Style File!