Sunday, August 7, 2011

Style File: Chapter 8


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.



Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
-----------------------------------------
Rebeca Trevino




My style is definitely ec*lec*tic. I like lots of 'stuff.' And I like to have my stuff all around me. Not in a 'cluttered' way, and not messy, but I like to be able to see it and touch it. Around my house you will see jars of dice and games pieces, and a favorite one of marbles. I have bowls of sea glass, a bowl of vintage doorknobs, and another one of hand painted eggs. So when I started making the 'embellished fish' series, I felt that I had found my style (similar to the 'memory jars' of old). And the best part is that others really seem to love them too.
-----------------------------------------
Deb Eck



Bookish! I love old books, text, type...probably a throwback from all those years as a typesetter. If you can do it with a book, I love it! And most of my work is inspired by words, by something I have read or by the words on a page that I am working with. Books are both magical and mundane and I never tire of their presence! (Sarah Beth/Corset)
-----------------------------------------
Lani Gerity




My artistic style might be slightly Steampunk meets Pollyanna, slightly dark but with an undertone of sweetness and hope as well. Hmmm. Kind of mixed up I guess. Here are two altered dolls that I love, and they are definitely a bit dark and a bit sweet.
-----------------------------------------
Alicia Caudle


I would describe my art as a balanced (or imbalanced?) mix of light and dark. I tend to lean toward the "morbid" side of things in my fascination with death and dying but also love pretty things such as flowers and lace. My art often has the juxtaposition of both, such as anatomical illustrations and rose buds, as in this piece, or animal bones and delicate lace.
-----------------------------------------
Victoria Crowder Payne




Mixed media embroidery. I knew I manifested my artistic mojo when the 'Roots at Dusk' (3.5 x 4.5 ft) came into existence. At 110,000 stitches over 14 months, she encompasses ALL that I am capable of: under painting and graphite sketching; stenciling and hand stamping in spray paint, watercolor and soft bodied acrylics; collage and applique in fabric, text, tissue and parchment; and traditional and dimensional embroidery in floss, metallics, wire and deconstructed fiber.
-----------------------------------------
Luthien Thye




Hmmmm....that's a good question...can "messed up be a style? Well I guess "otherwordly", "fantastical" (as in fantasy-like) and definitely "tainted with age". (See of Maia)
-----------------------------------------
Cory Celaya




My style is unique. The Moxified Bangle.
-----------------------------------------
Cyn Richardson




Eclectic - I like to use a lot of different mediums. These images are four of my Artist Trading Cards , two paintings, a collage, a ceramic head, two photos and two digital pieces, one an altered mirror image, and the other a digital painting.
-----------------------------------------
Sharon Read




Transferable through various media is how I would describe my style. This is a photograph of a smoke fired ceramic spiral. Although the ceramic piece itself is part of a group of spirals, the image stands alone as a piece in its own right.
-----------------------------------------
Art by Canace




I think it's obvious in most of my work that I have a deep connection with vintage items, whether it's an old tool of some sort or a beautiful set of brass gears, it all resonates with me. I have a tendency either consciously or not to convey a certain degree of information clearly, but holding back just enough to allow the viewer his own interpretation, letting it become personal to him or her. "Dispense as Needed" is an example of this as it obviously shows many negative emotions in the background and clearly a bottle of poison and sharp tacks in the foreground, the rest is open to interpretation.
-----------------------------------------


Next 'Style File' will be posted Sunday, August 14th.

16 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Another set of impressive pieces. I'm a big fan of Rebeca's assemblages, but was blown away when I read about Victoria Crowder Payne's exhibited piece. This must have been a true labor of love over all those months and various techniques.

As always, very nice selection, Seth.

Luthien Thye said...

HAH!! this is exciting :) *blushing in the corner*

sharon said...

Superb work agaian, so pleased to be involved.. thank you.

sharon said...

OOps I meant to comment on debs beautiful corset. Truly inspiring, words and form are wonderful combo.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Great collect and hey, I see some folks I know here! :-)
And some I need to go see more of!

XXOO~~
Anne

Honey from the Bee said...

Thanks so much for introducing me to some wonderful "new" artists for me! Found myself following a couple of them, too. It was like going into a new world.

Bill said...

Everyone's work is so exciting! It is all very tactile. I've always loved Lani Gerity's work.

Rebeca Trevino said...

It's terrific to be part of such a a great collaboration. Thanks again Seth!

Lynn Cohen said...

How interesting to see so many showing their "dark sides". Love all this sharing.

Did that person really count over 100,000 stitches?
How do you do that?

And is that corset floating up from the string tied to the book on the stairs?

I feel fascinated by so many of these wonderful pieces. And frightened by some too.

What a fun way to start Sunday Morning.

Jill Zaheer said...

This week's posting contains so many interesting 3D works with a host of unusual materials within each artwork. Always new artists to meet among artists I know- and so wonderful to see how everyone describes their artistic styles. I love studying all of the creativity invovled! Thanks Seth for another super Style File and to everyone who participated.

Parabolic Muse said...

Seth, this is always a great way for me to add to my blogroll. So many amazing pieces, here, and artists that fire the imagination. Thank you!

MrCachet said...

As always, thanks for the opportunity to view the artist's choice for style, and to visit their sites.

Freedom of Stitch said...

Hi Everyone! And THANKS Seth for inviting us all to play at your cyberhouse! What an amazing group of work... As for Lynn's question: my husband is a mathematician, so we basically laid out a tight grid over the piece, then did a high-med-low stitch count per inch and got the average. I double checked the math so-to-speak by keeping a "work journal" each day & also averaged by floss used & my general stitching speed (by the work journal the stitch number is slightly higher, but I went with the math as it seemed a more accurate measure!) It all started because the gallery curator where it debuted casually asked: "Wow, I bet THAT's a lot of stitches..." So we "did the math!" To learn more, visit my site: freedomofstitch.com, hover over Galleries, & select Diary of the Root. ;o} My current piece, The Womandrake, is being worked in the same frame as the Root, so I'm keeping closer track of the stitches for fun -- all will be revealed when she's ready for HER debut at Missouri Fiber Artist's event in October -- Thanks for asking!

Cami said...

Simple question - Thoughtful answers.
Cami
http://colorsmith.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

More great work! There are so many amazing artist out there...each week I am so impressed with what I see!!

Anonymous said...

seth, thank you so very much for including my piece and i am so sorry for taking so long to respond. i had no internet for just over a week, got a new modem and then two days later had no internet for three more days as the modem wasn't the issue. so frustrating.

i love all of these and feel so very inspired right now. i keep getting lost on all of these gorgeous blogs and websites you link to. thank you so much! you are the king of sharing mixed media with all of us and you are adored!