Sunday, January 23, 2011

Collectors Edition: Chapter 4


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Links to the first four projects (Secret Sunday, The Book Guild, StudioScapes, Viewer's Choice) can be found on the sidebar of my blog.



Collectors Edition is the fifth installment in which your favorite artists share their favorite collection or obsession.
_______________



My favorite obsession has to be books. I seem to have been looking at everything differently lately and trying to find the possibility of turning it into a book. I discovered some scrap wood in the garage and have mad several tunnel books. There is a lot to explore with this concept.
_______________



This is a little vignette/collection off the bulletin board in my studio. I love the sacred hearts from Mexico and Central and South America. I don't think I've consciously collected them, they just seem to find their way home with me. The same for hands. Hands and Hearts, it's what it's all about.
_______________



My growing collection of colored pencils and oil pastels.
_______________

 
_______________

 

I collect everything African from artifacts and books to my gatherings from the countryside around me. Here are just a few of the books in my collection.
The carved artifact is quite a rare Baule mouse oracle from the Ivory Coast. The belly of the pot is divided into 2 levels. The floor of the dividing partition has a hole in it so that the mouse can climb through from one level to the next. When someone consults the oracle the mouse is put in the bottom of the pot and flour, cowries and small bones are spread across the floor of the partition. Once the lid is put on the pot the mouse climbs through the hole and inspects whatever is on the floor of the partition, moving the bones and cowries and leaving imprints in the flour. After a minute the diviner removes the lid and reads the configuration of the bones etc. Oracle consultations can take from as long as an hour to a day.
_______________

 

Photos of birds on limbs against the sky....
_______________

 

Blocks. This is about half the collection...maybe I'm getting too many to choose between. Hard to edit!
_______________



50's mags: about 65 magazines from the 50s and 60s I bought some months ago for 6 dollars! I want more!! One of my cats likes them too!
_______________

 

My vintage school collection. I have an old student desk and school lockers where I store art supplies and lots & lots of old school memorabilia including a round robin "School Days" altered book. When I moved into my studio I had the intention of giving homage to the "Life is the school and love is the lesson" philosophy.
_______________

 

Partial ampersand collection.
_______________

Next posting: Sunday 01/30/11

22 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Always interesting to see into the minds and stashes of artists.

Julie Prichard said...

You are a saint for compiling all of this! Such fun to look at. I think this is my favorite Pulse "chapter"

:)

deb said...

I LOVE that there is another person in the world who loves ampersands... even the word is cool.

Rebeca Trevino said...

What is it about "collections" that make things so special? One of something is just that . . . but a collection makes you look and look again!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series.

Kim Palmer said...

This is such fun to put the pic with the artist! Thanks for all the hard work Seth.

lyle baxter said...

I love seeing everyones collection! the problem is -- it starts the collecting engine in your brain "now where can I find?" I think I thank you for sharing these photos!

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

Some great collections. Thank you, Seth. These are really fun to see!

MrCachet said...

More blogs to visit!

mansuetude said...

these are great. love the story about the oracle's mouse.

Lisa said...

more great suggestions of things to collect for all the collectors here...always fantastic Seth.. thanks!!

lynda Howells said...

Thanks for showing us all these incredible artists. I am glad there is someone else who looks at things and says.."how can l make that into a book" OR.."l wonder what colour that plant or leave with dye"...so much Art and so little time to try it all!Ha lyndax

Anonymous said...

So cool! I would love to see more of Ingrid's tunnel books. What a neat idea!!

Fran Meneley said...

Wow Seth...another really great post. It's so amazing to see what others collect, what catches the eye. Wonderful as always. Thanks for including me! xo fran

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Sunday nights are always interesting when I visit New York with your post. I am praying to get out and down to my studio tomorrow even though I have been working upstairs and enjoying the wildlife living outside my backdoor. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Caterina Giglio said...

another great post with some of my fav friends, great work as always, and fascinating collections. this makes us all feel closer, and less isolated, we all have treasures that spice our lives. Robyn's divination carving is way cool...

Karin Bartimole said...

all these collections make me smile - I can understand the attraction of each and every one!

Jil said...

Think this is one of my favorite posting of collections! I continually just love the variation of themes and am just entranced with the photos of everyones' collections and selected vignettes. Thanks so much for continuing to put this Series together Seth. You bring so many smiles to so many people!

tricia said...

great collections!

layers said...

It is always so interesting and fun to see what others collect-- some of the collections are quite surprising.

Anonymous said...

i am loving these glimpses into other people's worlds, seth. all of their wonderful and unique collections... fantastically cool! you are a rock star for bringing us all together, my friend.

Anonymous said...

i meant to end that with: thank you!!!

:)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It seems like forever since I've been here and I KNOW you take a lot of time and effort posting these. My time has simply not been my own lately, but I HAD to stop by to see if you were OK. I know the snow has hit you hard this year and I watch with anticipation of any news out of NYC. I hope all is well in your world.